Why Dogs and Cats Shouldn’t Eat These 15 Foods
A variety of common human foods should be avoided by your dogs and cats. The most important thing is to understand what to avoid. Some are well-known, such as chocolate, alcohol, and coffee, but others are less well-known, such as grapes, nutmeg, onion, and the artificial sweetener in gum, Xyitol.
It’s crucial to note that, despite your pet’s (cats and dog) whining, treats and snacks designed for humans aren’t a necessary part of their diet. In this article, we will be walking you through 15 foods that you should never give your dogs and cats so keep reading.
15 Foods Dogs and Cats should Not Eat
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Chocolate (All forms)
- Fatty Foods
- Coffee (All forms)
- Citrus Fruit
- Eggs (Raw)
- Yeast Dough
- Ice Cream
Why Dogs and Cats Shouldn’t Eat These 15 Foods
1. Alcoholic Beverages
Alcoholic beverages and foods can cause serious problems in pets, such as vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, coma, and death.
2. Chocolate (All forms)
Chocolate contains methylxanthines (theobromine and caffeine), which are toxic to pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and death. The concentration of methylxanthines in various types of chocolate varies. White chocolate is the least dangerous, while cocoa powder is the most dangerous.
Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds, and bark contain Persin, a toxic principle. The Guatemalan variety is the most toxic, but all have the potential to be toxic. They primarily cause gastrointestinal distress through vomiting/diarrhea.
4. Fatty Foods
The main issue here is severe gastrointestinal upset and, in some cases, Pancreatitis. This can be fatal in some pets and is almost always brought on by a high fat meal, such as gravy or bacon.
5. Coffee (All forms)
Coffee contains Xanthines, which are dangerous components that cause nervous system or urinary system damage as well as heart muscle stimulation.
6. Citrus Fruit
While a cup of lemon water may be the key to a faster metabolism in humans, whole citrus fruit should not be included in your pet’s diet. While a small amount of orange or lemon is acceptable, consuming the rind and fruit can cause stomach irritation or even a slowing of the central nervous system.
Because of a renewed interest in healthy fats, coconut and coconut oil have grown in popularity, but don’t feed any of these tropical fruits to your pets. Coconut is not harmful to an animal’s health, but it can cause unpleasant indigestion, which you should avoid as the owner.
8. Eggs (Raw)
When cooked, eggs are a versatile and healthy breakfast food. Raw eggs may contain dangerous bacteria such as salmonella and E. coli. Eggs should not be avoided in your pet’s diet; simply make sure they are well scrambled.
Few smells are more enticing than fresh garlic sautéing in a thin layer of olive oil, but your animal may not appreciate this simple culinary perfection as much as you do. Garlic, like other allium family members (onions and chives), can cause gastrointestinal irritation and damage to red blood cells. Cats are especially prone to allergic reactions, so keep that shrimp scampi away from them.
Dried fruit is an unhealthy snack option for humans due to its high sugar content, but an unknown toxin found in raisins makes this trail mix staple a serious hazard for pets. Raisins (as well as grapes) can cause kidney failure in dogs and should be kept out of their reach at all times.
Xylitol is a sweetener found in gum, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste, but it can cause discomfort in your dog. Consuming too much xylitol causes an insulin surge, which can lead to liver failure and hypoglycemia (low sugar levels).
Walnuts, one of the few vegetarian sources of omega-3 fatty acids, are a perfectly healthy snack for humans, but the nut’s natural fats and oils can cause stomach irritation in animals. For most pets, a nice piece of fatty fish is a better option.
13. Yeast Dough
The yeast dough/uncooked bread dough will rise in your pet’s stomach causing severe gastrointestinal distress (Vomitting/Diarrhea), Bloating and signs of alcohol toxicity.
High levels of nutmeg can be toxic, even fatal. The toxic component is unknown. Signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities or even death.
15. Ice Cream
Lactose can be difficult for humans to digest, but dairy products can be difficult for pets as well. Ice cream is especially troublesome for animals due to its dairy and sugar content, causing diarrhea and indigestion. As far as I know, there is no plant-based, vegan ice cream for pets on the market, but keep an eye out for it.
What To Do if Your Pet has Eaten Any of These Toxic Foods
1. Visit Your Veterinarian
If your pet shows signs of poisoning, it is critical that your veterinarian examines her and treats her appropriately. Some toxins can cause seizures to become severe. If you suspect antifreeze poisoning, you must act quickly to avoid irreversible kidney damage.
2. Purge the Poison
The most important thing you can do in most cases of poisoning is to get your pet to vomit. NOTE: DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING IF CAUSTIC INGREDIENTS, such as drain cleaner or bleach, have been consumed.
To induce vomiting, give hydrogen peroxide at 1 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight. If your pet doesn’t vomit in 10 minutes, repeat again. Also bear it in mind that you should never do more than 2 treatments of peroxide.
You can also try salt, dilute 1 teaspoon of salt in a tablespoon of water per every 10lbs of body weight.
3. Delay Absorption
Activated charcoal is readily available at most pharmacies. It delays absorption of any toxin by binding to the toxic compound in the stomach and the easiest way is to give a capsule form.
For those garbage-eating dogs, it is s good idea to have hydrogen peroxide and activated charcoal always on hand.