Poultry Farming: The Most Profitable Livestock Farming Business
What is the most profitable livestock farming business is one of the questions people who wish to start a farm ask.
We will look into the profitable livestock farming business in which you can invest your money.
Poultry farming can be defined as the process of raising various domestic birds like chicken, turkey, emu, ducks, geese, etc. for their eggs or meat.
The most profitable livestock agricultural industry in the world is poultry farming. This is due to the extremely high demand for poultry products around the world and the terrible fact that there are not enough poultry farmers to supply this demand due to the current level of output.
So long as suitable production and marketing plans have been made, anyone starting a chicken business may expect to make a lot of money.
In this business, you will raise poultry for eggs, meat, or both, including broiler, pullet, noiler, kuroiler, quail, turkey, goose, and guinea fowl.
Despite being profitable, the chicken industry is nevertheless very risky. In contrast to other farming businesses, the likelihood of operating at a loss is higher. Therefore, this is not the kind of business you should start if you have no experience raising chickens or if you are not a risk-taker kind.
Both labor and capital are expensive in the chicken industry. As a result, for the best possible productivity and profit, you need enough money, labor, and time. Don’t forget to start off modestly and grow as the money comes in. The poultry business has a high return on investment (ROI). Therefore, if you start a poultry business with excellent planning and administration, you should see a quick return on your investment.
Types Of Poultry Farming
- Chicken (for eggs and meat)
- Turkeys (for meat mainly)
- Guinea Fowl (for egg production and meat)
- Geese (for eggs, meat and down feathers)
- Ducks (for meat, eggs and down feathers)
- Quail (for eggs and meat)
- Pigeons (for meat mainly)
6 Steps to Take Before Starting a Successful Poultry Business
As was already indicated, careful preparation is necessary for the establishment, launch, and successful operation of a poultry business. Make sure to follow these steps before starting this business:
- Carry out a feasibility study, and if the results show that the firm is viable, you should proceed with writing a business plan. Investigate the poultry market in your region and get knowledgeable about crucial details, such as the degree of demand at the moment, rivals, buyer or customer preferences, etc. Create a marketing strategy and make sure it is workable. To free up time for other crucial tasks, you could hire an expert or consultant.
- Find a trustworthy financial source or sources, and make sure you have access to capital and other funds needed to operate the business.
- Look for the most suitable right type of land in the most suitable area. Avoid lands in residential areas as well as noisy areas. You should also avoid areas that are densely occupied by poultry farms.
- Go ahead to research the right poultry pen design that suits your region based on climate. If you’re in a hot region, a design that allows for good ventilation (free flow of air). If you’re in a very cold region, your choice of design should be one that conserves heat or temperature. Please note that chickens and other poultry birds don’t do well when the ambient temperature is high or low. Ensure you adhere to government building laws and regulations.
- Plan a safe and environment-friendly poultry waste disposal system. A sewage system integrated with a biogas system is recommended. Ensure you adhere to government building laws and regulations.
- Locate a reliable chick vendor for your day-olds supply. You should also find out about suppliers of poultry drugs, and feed and production equipment such as feeders, drinkers, heaters, cages, brooder guards, etc.
You may also want to read 13 Most Popular Horse Breeds, Images and Types
What is the Cost of Starting A Poultry Farming Business
The majority of business owners cannot afford many new businesses’ high capital requirements. A normal startup company also takes a while to pay back your investment. A small-scale poultry operation, in comparison, offers a cheap initial investment and quick returns.
Within six months, you can start with as little as N100,000 and obtain a 100% return on your capital investment (this essentially covers the cost of purchasing and feeding day-old chicks). Additionally, you can start making money three weeks after starting because chicks only require 21 days to hatch. No other business is able to turn things around so quickly.
Commercial poultry farming in Nigeria has created and still creating a profitable business opportunity for Entrepreneurs. Poultry farming can provide a great employment source for job seekers. Most entrepreneurs prefer to produce day-old chicks and sell them to growers, as this option is easier and less risky.
Is Poultry the Most Profitable Livestock Farming Business